This post is all about mascara: How to curl your lashes, how to apply mascara, and a few tips and tricks to get your lashes looking awesome.
Curling your lashes:
The curler I use is by Sally Hansen. The reason I use it is because it’s cheap, and it works really well. Place the curler as close to your lash line as possible, and pump 5 times. Then move the curler up your lashes and pump another 5 times. Repeat this one last time on the edges of your lashes.
- If you want, use a blow dryer to heat up your curler just for a few seconds, this will help the lashes curl. Be very careful with this step, don’t burn yourself!
- The more often you curl your lashes, the better they will curl and the longer they will stay curled.
Apply a few generous coats:
It’s very simple: The more you apply, the more dramatic, fake and ‘spidery’ your lashes will look. Apply 1-2 coats for a natural look, 3-4 for a dramatic look. Apply the mascara by wiggling the mascara wand back and forth at the root of the lashes to separate them, and then blink down so that the mascara coats the entire lash.
- Use at least 2 different kinds of mascaras. It’s best to use 2 that have very different wands. I use Maybelline Great Lash and Maybelline Falsies Volume Express. I love them both.
- Use the blackest mascara, don’t use brown unless you want a super natural look.
- Allow the mascara to dry in between coats.
Tips and tricks:
- Don’t expect your lashes to look amazing if you only spend 30 seconds on them. Spend time curling them, spend time applying the mascara.
- Tight line your eyes. Use a black eyeliner and color right under your upper lashes, concentrating on the outer part of your eye. This will give your lashes the fullest look.
Removing Mascara (and other eye makeup):
This step is as important as applying it. If you remove the mascara incorrectly, you will pull out your lashes resulting in thinner ones.
- First, splash your face with water.
- Use your favorite eye makeup remover and apply it generously to a cotton pad. Press it onto your eye for 30 seconds. Do not rub your eye, just press the cotton gently on to your eye area.
- Rinse your eye well. Most of the mascara should be off. Use the cotton pad to remove any exess mascara.
- Very gently, rub some baby shampoo onto your eyes. Baby shampoo is gentle and will not ruin your lashes. You can alternately use baby wipes for this step.
- Rinse with water.
Your eyelashes should look beautiful!